Father's Note: Paternity leave is more than just putting on diapers

Thursday, August 21, 2008

It must be disappointing for some father-to-be in Singapore to learn that paternity leave was not on the cards during the Prime Minister Singapore National Day Rally.

I am luck and grateful for my employer to have given me two weeks paternity leave to be with my wife and my first newborn child.

It is not one month, but its better than one day.

Paternity leave isn't just about a holiday for the father too.

My current experience highlights why even a two week paternity leave is important for Fathers.
My wife was hoping for a normal birth but circumstances forced her to do a c-section.

Wife was weak after the operation and it was important for me to be by her side during this period.

Wife water bag burst on a Saturday, gave birth on Sunday and was only allowed to be discharged on Tuesday.

Anson had to stay an extra day because of Jaundice and I had to fetch him from the hospital on a Wednesday.

A total of five days were used up just to handle the birth process.

It doesn't stop there.

I have to bring Anson for a review check-up on Friday and wife for hers on Saturday.

Can you imagine if I only had one day paternity leave? I would have to use my annual leave for these important activities.

If analysts say its the economics that is preventing one month paternity leave, why not introduce two weeks instead?

Posted by seventeenzeroeightzeroeight at 12:02 AM  

1 comments:

Hi, I am a reporter who is working on the topic of paternity leave. I am interested to find out which companies give out longer paternity leave voluntarily. Is it possible for you to contact me at 63191538 or chuahl@sph.com.sg?

Thanks.

简单生活 said...
March 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment